Monday, July 28, 2014

Emma Kate is officially here!!

Wow, so I started this post like 1o times. Once at 20 weeks right when we found out we were having a little girl, then at 28 weeks, then at 35 weeks, then finally at 37 weeks when I officially became full-term. Needless to say I never finished any of those posts for one reason or another. It's so crazy to think how everything in your life changes so much in one short week! So I will give a little bit of a back story for the last 2 weeks of craziness including the arrival of our little Miss Emma Kate!
 
On July 10 I went to my normal doctor's appointment and everything looked great, but I did have an elevated blood pressure. Since everything looked great, we thought it was due to nerves since my bp has been completely normal during the entire pregnancy (thank God!). I do have chronic hypertension so the doctor told me to keep a close check on it and call if it continued to increase. The following Tuesday, July 15, I checked my bp and it was really high so I called the doctor's office and the doctor on call (since mine was on vacation that week) wanted me to come in. So off to the doctor I go. I spent the next 2 days in and out of triage in labor and delivery being monitored and poked and on bed-rest when at home. Which for those of you who know me well, knows how impossible this was for me!! That Thursday, July 17, we went in for our normal appointment. My blood pressure was really high, and the doctor ordered another ultrasound to see how the baby was developing (AKA if we have to take the baby now, how big will she be). She was estimated to be 6 lb. 10 oz. which made both of us feel better, BUT she had turned and was now breech. Erik and I then headed back up to triage for more blood work and monitoring. This all started at 2 PM. At 7 PM, I asked for food, and I was told "you probably shouldn't eat." Then . . .  they took my ice chips away! I had a moment of pure panic, becuase I've been around hospitals enough to know that they were thinking I was having her that night. I just wanted my doctor there, and I wanted a little more time to prepare. No matter how many months you have, the thought of having her under those circumstances scared me to death. Thank goodness, blood work came back great, and we were allowed to go home. Erik and I went back on Saturday for more monitoring. Everything looked great once again (other than high blood pressure), and I was allowed to go home and instructed to come back on Monday morning (July 21) at 9AM to finally see my doctor!
 
Erik asked on Monday morning if we should take our bags. My exact words were "there is no way Dr. Collins will do anything today, we will at least get to come home tonight and be able to pack." Little did I know in 4 short hours I would officially be a mommy. Once Dr. Collins saw my blood pressure, she sent me back up to triage for monitoring and told me before I left that she could take her that day if we needed to. Once I got up to triage the nurse came in and said she was going to go ahead and set my IV so she could draw blood because the doctor indicated I would probably be delivering that day. Panic set in for a few short minutes, but Erik was so calm and collected during the entire event which always helps me stay much calmer! About noon, Dr. Collins poked her head in and said blood work looked good, but the risk of waiting and letting my blood pressure continue to go up was of course stroke or seizure for me. She would prefer to go ahead and take her since she was full-term and appeared to be a good size. She went to find the anesthesiologist to find out about how long. Once again, I'm thinking I have a few hours. She came back in to tell us less than an hour. The next hour of my life is still a whirlwind of signing papers, talking to this nurse, that nurse, the anesthesiologist, seeing my mom (thank goodness I got to see her before they rolled me back), and then ultimately telling my husband goodbye around 12:40 outside the doors to the OR. I have had surgery before but never a spinal and never awake for it. So the next few minutes were a little crazy scary. My nurse, Robin at WRMC, was beyond amazing! By that time they had started and then I heard Dr. Collins say we need dad in here now. So here comes Erik and at 1:05 PM on July 21 Emma Katherine Tuft made us the happiest we have ever been. That first cry is indescribable!! Then they brought her over and placed her on my chest for a short while. Finally, her and Erik left for them to clean her up a little more and so he could show her off in the nursery. They finished with me and off to recovery. After about 20 minutes, they let him and Emma Kate come back to recovery to hang out with me and for me to feed her. I honestly can't say enough about how wonderful everyone and the experience at Washington Regional in Fayetteville. They truly put patients first, and they made our experience of having our first child so much more special.


 

Finally I was allowed to return to the room to greet family and wait for our little bundle of joy to get bathed and returned to us.
 



We spent the next 2 nights in the hospital. Dr. Collins gave me the option to go home on Wednesday, and I jumped at the opportunity! I was so ready just to get home and see the dogs, sleep in my bed and start our life as a family of 5 (yes, I still love my dogs!!).


 




We have been so blessed with so many well wishes, visitors and family! Things have been moving along at home, and we are getting adjusted to our new and even better life with Miss Emma Katherine! They aren't joking about life changing forever. The feelings and love I have for this little baby is like nothing I've ever experienced before!! We look forward to sharing her with the world in the upcoming weeks and years! 

 
 
Dear Emma Katherine,
 
You truly can't understand the love I have in my heart for you until you experience motherhood for yourself. I remember my mother trying to explain this to me. We prayed for you for so many years and had all but given up. We had come to terms with us never having a child of our own which makes you all the more special. You are truly our little miracle. You are going to be my little firecracker. You will test me and push me to my limits, but no matter what, I will always love you more than you will ever know or comprehend. I can't wait to watch you grow into the amazing young lady I know you will become. But please do it slowly! Your daddy and I are truly the luckiest that God chose us to be your parents. Don't ever forget how much we love you, and we will always be here for you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment